Emergency Independent Adjuster Licensing Rules & Requirements


With the eruption of the Kīlauea volcano that caused devastation in Hawaii, and meteorologists predicting a more active than normal 2018 Hurricane season, insurers need to be prepared and informed of the rules that govern declared catastrophes if they intend to use Emergency Independent Adjusters to process claims. In the event of a declared catastrophe, an insurer must notify the insurance commissioner of each individual not already licensed in the state where the catastrophe has been declared, planning to act as an emergency independent adjuster on their behalf.  This notification is sent to the state’s departments of insurance via an application for temporary emergency licensure, or registration, if temporary licensure is not required by state statute.

A person who is already qualified to adjust claims, but is not already licensed in the state where the catastrophe has been declared, may act as an emergency independent adjuster and adjust claims.  The insurer must notify the state’s Insurance Commissioner within 5 to 15 days of deployment (varies by state) to adjust claims due to a declared catastrophe by providing the following information (determined by the Insurance Commissioner):


  • Name
  • Social Security Number
  • Name of Insurer the Independent Adjuster will represent
  • Catastrophe event name & control number
  • Any other information the insurance commissioner deems necessary

Duration of License

Usually, an emergency independent adjuster’s license or registration remains in force for 90 days to 120 days depending on the states, but the insurance commissioner can exercise discretion and extend the period.

States not requiring License or Registration

The following states does not have any specific licensing or registration requirements for Emergency Independent Adjusters:  AZ, CO, DC, IA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MO, ND, NE, NJ, NV, OH, PA, SD, TN, VA, WA and WI.

States Requiring Licenses

Independent Adjusters are required to have a license in DE, FL, ME, MI, MS, NH, NM, NY, OK, TX, UT and WV.

States Requiring Registration

While independent adjuster licensure is not required, registration, including individual and insurer information must be submitted in the states listed below. It is very important to note that each state may have different registration requirements therefore insurers must consult the Department of Insurance for state specific requirements. The following states require registration: AL, AK, AR, CA, CT, GA, HI, IN, KY, LA, MN, MT, NC, OR, RI, SC, VT and WY


Leave a Reply: